View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 AM
batikmystique

Welcome! Everyone here has given great advice and specifics on tools. I would have to agree with the largest self-healing mat according to your budget, a quality rotary cutter (I prefer Gingher but also use Olfa), the 6x24 ruler, a 12x12 square ruler for help with squaring up fabric before cutting, a pair of inexpensive scissors you wil only use for cutting/trimming batting and yes a good seam ripper. I would also like to add two items which I don't believe has been mentioned...first, a long-handled tweezer. I use the tweezer when shaping the mitered corners on my binding, as a stiletto (careful not to get too close to the presser foot and needle), and for repositioning/realigning fabric as I'm machine sewing. Second, is the Fons & Porter binding tool. I struggled for a while trying to perfectly measure the correct length when joining my binding ends when I discovered there was a tool to do that. It's something I couldn't do without! Warm wishes on one of the most rewarding craft journeys you will ever take!