View Single Post
Old 10-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Anastasia

When you get further into the photography world, you should get a grey card. It's really inexpensive. The one i got also has white and black. What they do is they have true white, true black, and true middle grey.. so you can adjust your lighting either in the camera, or in post editing, so that things don't have a grey overcast, you will get correct colors. What you would do with it is place it in the photo and take a test shoot with it, and then (and I don't know how to do this in the camera) adjust the white balance based on that. It's easier in post because you can go and eyedropper pick the card and then you can apply settings to all the photos that come after it that are in that same location/lighting. I'm usually too lazy to use the card but have gotten pretty good at taking the grey out on my own. Sometimes it's nice to have, especially on those lonely looking photos, helps add drama, so I don't ALWAYS remove it, but for sure on whites, yellow. Also another thing it does, it removes glare on water! So for instance, I took a picture of a pond at my work because I liked the pebbles in the bottom, and without the grey card you just saw brightness from the sky reflection. After the grey card you saw maybe a slight building reflection, cause water is a mirror, but you got to see the pebbles. It was so nice.

You definitely have an eye for composition.

Last edited by Anastasia; 10-18-2012 at 12:58 PM.