Old 10-18-2012, 06:53 PM
batikmystique

Yes, T-squares are great! An easy way to square up a finished quilt top no matter the size is to use a snap chalk line in conjunction with the T-square. Lay the quilt top on a hard surface, making sure it is as flat and smooth as possible. Taping it down with blue painter's tape will help! Place the T-square on one of the corners and line it up until you are happy with the placement, then line up the chalk line container with the t-square and secure the container to the floor or get someone to hold it for you. Stretch out the chalk line following the edge of the T-square to the opposite end of the quilt and snap the line. Nice thing about the chalk is that it is easily erased so that if your cutting lines are off you can snap new ones. Same method can be used for squaring blocks, but you could use a kitchen countertop or other hard surface. Hope this helps!

Originally Posted by quiltjoey View Post
I use a drafting T-square for the final squaring. Also, 6 x 24, and the June Tailor rulers. Accurate cutting is also key. I have learned to square-up form the first piece of the block. I think squaring-up takes a lot of practice. I just have learned on my through trial and error. The T-square along with another ruler to make sure the corners square-up is the best to me. I'm sure everyone has there on ways of "squaring" a block or quilt.