View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 07:02 AM
willferg

Default The good thing about making mistakes

I've been in a bit of a quilting slump lately. I plan lots of quilts, maybe even get the fabrics gathered and the blocks made, but I haven't been finishing much.

I've been trying to get other things done for a fundraising craft fair, so I've been making things other than quilts. And that is so out of my comfort zone!

What I have learned, though, is to just go for it and not worry about the mistakes. I was making baby booties, and I tried about 4 or 5 different patterns. I threw a lot of them away, but ended up with two decent pair and the knowledge that I am done with baby boots.

I tried a tote bag, just winging it, and messed up so bad that that, too, went in the trash. I felt a pang about throwing the fabric away, but then I thought, I've held on to this fabric forever to make a tote bag, and clearly that is not going to happen. How much more time do I want to spend agonizing over this and not moving on and getting other things done?

Yesterday I tried two patterns that didn't quite work out, but you know what? My quilting slump is going away. Making mistakes is making me feel free to move forward. I highly recommend it!