Old 10-19-2012, 07:16 AM
jcrow

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Boy, am I on the other side of the coin from all of you. I noticed no one who doesn't pre-wash respond to this thread, so I thought I would be the one who did. I have never pre-washed before and have made a lot of quilts. I just started using batiks, so I can't tell you the outcome of it yet. I have Retayne and Syntropol and I don't know which I would use when I go to wash it, but I will investigate further and find out.

But I have never had any bleeding of any sort and I have used every color with white. I always wash on delicate and in cold water and dry on air dry. I don't know if that makes a difference, but like I said, I have had no problems YET!

I use precuts quite a bit and do not want to wash them ever. I don't want to wash any of my fabric. I like the feel of the fabric off the bolt. But, if something bleeds on me one time, I will be singing a different song. One like you all are singing, I'm sure.

And I wouldn't call you lazy at all. I call myself "lazy". I don't want to hassle with washing and drying and IRONING the fabric after washing it. Now, that's lazy. Ironing is my least favorite part of sewing. Cutting is my favorite. I'm a strange one in that department. Most people don't like to cut. I have complete quilts cut out and set aside. At least 5 of them.

Now remember, I might be singing a different song if something bleeds! I might join your camp. And I admire all of you that go to all the trouble of washing your fabric before using it. I applaud you all!!