View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 08:14 AM
jcrow

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Excellent advice from Candace. My Viking is 23 years old and I would happily spend the $150 quoted to reinvigorate her in a heartbeat if needed. She's semi-retired now, but is ready, willing and able to handle anything I need whenever my newer 11 year old Bernina decides to take vacation time.
I have an older Viking that doesn't self thread or self cut. It's the Quilt Design series. It's my backup sewing machine. Whenever I take my new machine to the shop (very rarely) I pull it out and it runs like a dream. I gave it to my daughter at one time, then asked for it back and gave her my beginner Viking instead. I take my Viking to quilt retreats and to classes as my new machine weighs 47 pounds (whew!). But, if I were you and wanted a new machine, I would go for it. When I get it in my head that I want something and don't get it, it bothers me forever. So, I usually get whatever it is that I'm wanting and since you are wanting a new machine, get it. But I'd get my Viking serviced and use it as back up. You always need a back up sewing maching. Always! And Vikings are awesome machines! Don't trade it in. You won't get what it's worth. Don't sell it. You'll regret it someday. Keep it and when you can afford it. service it. But, go for the new machine since you "want" one.