View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 AM
TanyaL

Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
I was looking at doing this for my youngest with autism myself. Being a guy, I may have a different take on this but after seeing the cost of polyfill beads I thought I may be able to use some of my shot that I reload shotgun shells with for the weight. They are very tiny (much smaller than BBs) and since they are lead they cna be very heavy. If I sewed them the same way into pockets inside his blanket I thought they may stay in place, lead being nonferrous doesn't rust and should be able to be washed. Has anybody tried that?}

Tom

"Words mean things" - Yodar
think that to be very practical you should consider 3 things. Considering the weight to mass of the lead pellets, you need much stronger, more finely woven fabric than cotton to make the pockets. You should double stitch or use a serger for the stitching. I would also construct it so that the pockets are removable and you don't beat the inside of your washer to death with the lead pellets, even though they will be cushioned by the quilt. If you follow these construction quidelines I think you have a definite 5 star winner! Let us know what you decide and how it goes. We wish you all the best.