View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 AM
Sierra

I pretty much agree with every almost answer on this thread. I do donate quilts for benefits but I have guidelines that make me feel better. Like bus quilts I have donated for a boys' choir that travel a lot and uses their bus for resting between practices with the orchestra and the performance.

I figured in cost of thread, fabric, batting, each quilt's share of yearly maintiance on my machine, but not my labor (I am retired). These 42x60 (their recommened size) go together fast because I use polyester batting with stickem on both sides and like to use panels of fun motifs mixed with more serious musical designs. The cost, I figured of each (just before the price of fabrics shot up) was $70 and I told the school that was what it cost me, w/o labor (i have made enough that I can do so in a matter of 4 hours), and that if the quilts did not go for at least that I wanted them back. They priced them at $100 each and they all sold.

Before I was donating them, now they can make money off them and get the quilts donated by the buyer (there is no option, they have to be given to the boys' bus). I had a little example of a label that said "Donated by (your name here) to (choir's name here) but no one cared... and they were asked. What they wanted were that these quilts be on the bus for the boys to use. Since I do a lot of charity quilts anyway (most of us do) I consider it a win/win situation.

Last edited by Sierra; 10-19-2012 at 09:17 AM.