View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 06:49 AM
paintmejudy

Default Clue 2, Oct 20, 2012

Remember your colors? Of the A-B, A is light; of the C-D, C is darker. With that in mind, put together A-B and C-D combinations. Put your C-D aside for another day. If you look at my original choices, you can see I used the first 2 and the last 2 as paired colors.

You will make 24 half square triangles from your A-B combinations, making 6-½“ squares, using your favorite method. (bottom picture) Don't forget to nip off the little triangles that will stick out.

For the traditional method, cut 2 WOF strips of A and 2 WOF strips of B strips 6-7/8” wide, then cut into 6-7/8” squares. Put one A and one B right sides together. Mark a diagonal line through the center, top picture, sew ¼” away from the line on each side, cut on your line and press open. (I am not using pink fabric, they are all in the lavender family, and have no idea how the color came out so bright.)

However, I prefer to cut my strips into 7” wide, then cut 7” squares, making my blocks a teeny bit bigger, then trim to 6-½” square -- I always seemed to be off a bit and they never end up measuring 6-½”. But now my new best friend is a strip tube ruler for making these half square triangles (second picture); they are never too small or too large - bottom picture. There are also Thangles and Laundry Basket if you use the paper pattern tear-aways. For other methods, refer to the directions that come with that method. If you are new to quilting, there are all sorts of detailed instructions on the internet.
Attached Thumbnails 2-put-squares-right-side-together.jpg   2-c-using-strip-tube-ruler.jpg   2-b-24-half-sq-tri-b-colors.jpg  

Last edited by paintmejudy; 10-20-2012 at 06:54 AM.