View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 02:27 PM
quiltingcurious

Exclamation Warning Computer Phone Scam!!!

An hour ago, I got a phone call supposedly from Microsoft Tech Maintenance Dept saying that they have been receiving error messges from my computer for some time now, that I had an infection on my hard drive, something about International Router System.
When I questioned what is the name of the infection, he talked around it. I told him I had Anti-Virus, Spyware, Malwarebytes software, he said it wouldn't catch anything like this.
He tried to get me to follow steps from Start and I wouldn't. I asked for a phone number where he could be reached, he never gave it to me.
I've never received a phone call from Microsoft, unless it is a callback after I have contacted a technician there.
He told me my computer was going to crash. I told him I had computers over 10 years and never got an infection that crashed my comptuter.
I hung up and called a person that fixes computers, he said it was a scam, that he'd gotten a call last week from a guy that had the same phone call but he had no computer, the guy hung up on him.
I could hear another person on a phone line talking as he was talking to me.
I was afraid he would try to gain access to my computer, so I wouldn't comply.
Be warned, this isn't the way Microsoft works or any other company.