View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 08:50 PM
Nanamoms

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
You want to sew the corners but at the same time, leave the corners unstitched??? Or do you want the sides unstitched, below the corners?

Could you baste the seam, press open, stitch the corner, then take out the basting of the part to be left open?

Please check with the hospital, before using PUL for this.
Neesie, we need to stitch the seams at the "top" of the corner but leave the actual sides unstitched. We kinda did a basting stitch at the corners until we could figure out the seams. It actually made boxed corners but we have an extra "seam" that we don't know how to stitch it to the horizontal seams. All the vertical seams need to be left open. We will do some kind of tiny hem, like a rolled hem or napkin hem to finish off the open edges.

The isolette cover will only be used during transport. The helicopter lands on the landing pad and they have to roll the isolette from inside the hospital to the outside and into the helo. It needs to be waterproof. It needs to be lightweight and we are limited to what colors we can use because color affects the skin tone of the babies and makes it harder to watch for symptoms. I've read the description of PUL and it is used in hospitals a good bit. I will have my sister double check but she has shown the fabric to her supervising nurse.

We've already had a request from another hospital to do one for them!!

Special Note: My sister got a call on her day off that 15 NICU babies were going to have to be moved to other hospitals because the NICU unit was "stocked full" of babies. She works at a University (teaching) hospital so they get a lot of the NICU and other sick Peds babies!! Sad thing is that a lot of these babies are born to teenage mothers and mothers who used illegal drugs or alcohol!!