Thread: Amish nine-bar
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Steve

Well, I’ve finished the center green and one of the cross-hatch red bars, and I thought the cross-hatch to be easier than the cable (or leaves) that were in the middle, yeah right. What I found to be the stickler is not so much the quilting as the marking. All the red bars will be crosshatched the same and trying to line them to match up is a bugger. I’m only marking each bar as I get to it so that the soapstone marks won’t fade as I manhandle it in the frame (hand held). I want them to be as close as possible and thought they’d mark the same, but slight variations from the stitching is getting me only so (sew) close.

I guess crosshatch was easier on block pieces because the blocks will guide the stitching. It’s coming along but this has been another hard fought lesson in perseverance. In the end I simply let the 45-degree triangle assist down a centerline and spot-checked them like a T-square over the one that was complete. Looks pretty good but the moment of truth will come when I finish it.

Lots of learning going on, well at least that's the story I'm sticking with! Live and learn, and learn, and learn, etc...