View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 06:20 AM
May in Jersey

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
Question-------------there are two basic ways to do a silent auction--------------which method are they using?

One way is a sure fire loss and the other a much better method. The loser method is to have an enclose container into which a person drops his bid. You have NO idea what the next guy bid------------and way too much chance of several identical bids.

The second much better method is to have a printed sheet, sometimes with minimum bids listed, where each successive bidder ups the previous bid. This method is much improved from the first type-----------but not at all a guarantee of any decent income for the benefit.

And I guess I missed the info, what is the benefit for?
Grannie Annie has the right idea, #2 is the way to go especailly for large items like quilts..

I've only donated one quilt to a silent auction fund raiser. At a retreat a quilting friend who knew I made a lot of charity quilts gave me a large very attractive lap sized quilt she made from her scraps of fabrics and batting, all it needed was binding. When I returned home I found out in a few nights there would be a fundraiser for my cousin's very ill grandson. I donated the quilt for the silent auction and it only brought in about $25. Not as much as I thought but it didn't upset me because the teenage girl who won it was so happy, my friend got to use up fabrics and batting that some people would have thrown away, my part was very small and it all went to help someone I knew - pretty good deal all around.

Last edited by May in Jersey; 10-21-2012 at 06:24 AM.