Thread: Thread Storage
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 06:34 AM
DogHouseMom

Originally Posted by jeank View Post
I use the stacking plastic drawers available everywhere. I got mine from Walmart. One drawer for each color family with a sticker on the front. Greens, Blues, Reds, Yellows, etc.
similar ... I get mine at Menards - each case holds about 36 Aurifil spools. I also have a sticker on the front with the contents, but I sort mine differently. One is all Aurifil 50wt cotton (I need to add another container for this collection!), another is various wt (12, 28, 30, 40) cotton for quilting, another is "special" threads (clear poly, water soluble, hand quilting, etc), and the last is "odds and ends" which is basically a collection of various threads for garment making, darning, buttons etc.

The case keeps them out of the sun (my sewing room has a double size west facing window so this is important to me), keeps dust away from them, and are handy for sorting. They don't take up much room as I keep them stacked.

I recently picked up 4 cones of my most used Aurifil colors (2 grey and 2 beige) ... do not have a method of storing these yet so they're just standing on the inside shelf of my sewing table. If I only have the 4, it's not an issue - but if I decide I like the cones better than spools I'll have to get something.

Last edited by DogHouseMom; 10-21-2012 at 06:39 AM.