View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 10:36 AM
KLO

I belong to a small quilt group and a guild. The guild has a library from which a member can borrow any book. My small group shares books among themselves all the time. I too feel a little tinge of something when I borrow the books even if they are from the main local library. But the libraries did have to buy the books to have on hand so at least that was another book sold. Some of the borrowed books inspire me to find other books/patterns by that author and buy them which I wouldn't have know about otherwise. How about ebay? Used patterns/books are sold all the time there and the originator of said book/pattern is not getting anything back from that sale. If I were a book/pattern designer I would be upset about all if this I think but what can one do about it?

Life is complicated and we live in a capitalistic society. Once you have bought something with your hard earned money, it is yours to do with as you please .... sell, give away, throw away, etc.

Oh and has anyone noticed how close the word "quilt" and "guilt" are? Yes, I too feel guilty some if I borrow a book from a friend but at least one copy was sold and I was not going to buy it anyway. This is definitely a touchy and complicated discussion.

Last edited by KLO; 10-21-2012 at 10:39 AM.