View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 10:52 AM
batikmystique

Default New Lap Quilting Hoop

Hello, everyone!

I have been quilting for seven years and find myself needing/wanting a new lap hoop. I have the traditional round 14" hoop (very old and flimsy) without a lap or floor stand attachment and l am looking into investing in a newer, more solidly constructed hoop. I have researched the newer ones on the internet, but still cannot decide which one will best suit my needs. There are quite a few new options, and I was hoping that some of you might be able to offer feedback from your experiences!

I am now leaning towards a square lap hoop, and I noticed that Barnett's has a really nice looking one as well as does the Grace company. I'm not sure about the tilting and rotating options when quilting a larger project, though, as I have not been able to try any of these hoops out. Seems it would be just as easy to just manually turn a hoop and reposition the quilt as you need to, although the tilting option looks very appealing!

Barnett's did offer a square hoop on a plain, flat base without the rotating base/knob tilt adjustment option, but couldn't find that option with the Grace company. I also like Jean Brown's hoop with the flat base (no rotating or tilt option), but only a round hoop is available through her website. www.jeansimpressions.com BTW...She has a GREAT hand-quilting technique video on her site for those who might be interested. :-)

Thank you, in advance, for your advice and suggestions!