View Single Post
Old 10-21-2012, 08:24 PM
Kittywolf13

Originally Posted by Jen C View Post
If that happens on a newer machine you just turn the handwheel toward you and it lets go. Try that next time you notice the thread caught. Turn a few inches and try to pull again and it should be fine. My 80's New Home did that a lot.
My featherweight is from 1952. So I don't know if this counts as a newer machine but I will give that a try. Thanks!

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
The other thing that will do that is if you've threaded the wrong way. A FW threads right to left, and the needle has to be flat side to the left.
If the threading is wrong (I've seen it on 2 other machines that I threaded the wrong way i.e they wanted left to right and I did right to left) and they brought up 3 threads instead of 2. It was sure a WTHeck moment when it happened the first time.
I put and threaded as the manual instructed. The flat side of the needle faces to the left so the eye is sideways. (now I did this to MY left. Since the machine is facing me should it go the other way???) and then I threaded going right to left. I had to remove the needle and push it further in to get it to even sew. Also will it not sew if the light is off? It happened at the same time I adjusted the needle so I wwasn't certain if that prevented it or not. I'm slowely figuring her out. the good news is that her tension and timing seem good. I adjusted the tension just a smidge because there was a little looping on the underside of the fabric.