View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 05:33 AM
kaylfordsollimo

OK, here is a list of "why you should not feel guilty".
1. Libraries - both public and quilt guild libraries someone did pay for every single book with the express intention of lending them out to people who would most likely not buy them. Also, every best selling author knows that his/her work will be enjoyed by many people who have borrowed - rather than bought - the book. I think they are OK with that, too.
2. There are many of us who buy a quilting book and never make a single item in it. We just love looking at the book - maybe only once or twice. We've made up for all of those "library" users. Case in point, I own every single book put out by Kumiko Sudo because I think they are gorgeous feasts for the eye.
3. Truth be told, the only quilts that a lot of us need a pattern for are the "art" variety. I happen to be a "math type" with color sense who can draft patterns, change sizes, etc. so a pattern is unnecessary.
4. Jenny at Missouri Star Quilt Co. is my hero! Love that woman's YouTube tutorials!!!!! All free information.
5. If you display it, make sure there is a label giving credit to your "design inspiration". It's all good.

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
when i posted the other day about "manly quilts", someone suggested cherri house's very wonderful city quilts book.

so i went and previewed the book on amazon, fell in love with one of the patterns via google image search and then rode over to the local quilt shop who has it in stock.

i looked up the pattern and there is no specific layout, no real pattern and a very well established technique in my skill set.

i'm a phd student with a child. $25 for a book i will only use for one pattern (which isn't really a pattern at all but rather a design idea....) is too much. so i didn't buy it. and i feel guilty because cherri house did a fantastic job, and so does that little quilt shop and well....

i'm going to make that quilt and no one is going to make any money for their time, effort or labour to help me make that quilt. and for that i am truly sorry.

aileen