Old 10-22-2012, 08:47 AM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
They hide and lurk in the nooks and crannies of my shop. I keep putting them in one place but they must sneak out and breed.
Well, yeah,... it would be just creepy to be breeding out there in the open where all the younger buttonholers could see...

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north View Post
The FW I'm leaving at the cabin is in a cabinet and doesn't have a case. Since they are small machines, I could find a plastic tote and seal it up. I don't think I have any of those packing packets that they put in tools, etc. What else would work?
I'd be concerned about any moisture you trapped with it. I'm with everyone else, take it with you.
I don't know how hard the freeze is "down there", but I know that I've seen tons of machines here that when left in a cold shed all winter have their finishes destroyed. It does a weird alligator type thing to the finish (I suspect it's the shellac only, but I haven't spent any time handling one, only looking at them)

That said, we have the distinction of having been recorded as being the 2nd coldest place on the planet in recent memory.

Dave McCallum says that the finish on a FW is enamel, so it might not suffer the same way, but I always think if it looks like that where I can see it, what's going on that I can't see?