Old 10-22-2012, 04:36 PM
Kittywolf13

Red face She runs! (Willcox & Gibbs Automatic Chain Stitch)

Today i was feeling pretty low for some unknown reason so when i got home from work, i decided to work on my Willcox and Gibbs chain stitch machine. I've had the belt for a while now but no one to help me out with it, so i decided i was just going to do it myself. i've done everything else till now mostly on my own... so whats the difference now? So i set out to measure the belt, cut it to length, punch a hole (i never thought that leather was so tough. guess im kind of glad it is!) and then re-watched that lovely video on youtube where she shows how to thread her up... needed to change the needle. the original needle was so worn that the hole was filled in and nearly at the tip, threaded her up and took a test stitch! after a little pushing, at first she didnt want to chain... but then once she caught on... i guess she needed to remember after being dormant, she was off like a gazelle!

This is what the top of a 116 year old chain stitch looks like!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371782[/ATTACH]

and the bottom!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]371783[/ATTACH]

I'm so stupidly excited! and i did it all by myself! (well mostly had to have dad help me feed the staple. it wouldn't budge for me!) and the belt is a little loose so it needs adjusting... i need to seek out some violin rosin to give that a whirl, but i cant wait to actually try sewing something on her!! its amazing how something like this can change my mood around! I really do love the feel of something so old... its so soothing. its wonderful!! I'm in love all over again with my little Eleanor!
Attached Thumbnails eleanorfrontstitch.jpg   eleanorbackstitch.jpg  

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 10-26-2012 at 04:52 AM. Reason: remove link to affiliated website