View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 05:57 PM
Tashana

Question Quilting with minky?

I am finishing a bargello throw (about 70"x70") for an elderly lady. Her daughter, a dear friend of mine, wants something for her mother to throw over her legs while she is watching TV or while she is sitting on the front porch in cool evenings. Minky comes to mind as the perfect choice for backing, it is soft and warm and cuddly. I have never worked with minky before and I do not know how it behaves as a quilt backing.
The quilt is made of 90% batik which is not prewashed and 10% cotton which is prewashed. Batting will be either W&N cotton or poly (her daughter will have a choice, but she wants me to have final word since she does not quilt. If I use minky, what batting will be the best? What is the best way to piece minky for backing? Does it stretch while being quilted?
I will quilt it on my DSM since I do not dare practice my LA skills on somebody elses quilt. I baste all my quilts with Elmer's glue. Will it work with minky or should I just do it the oldfashioned way with a needle and thread?
How will the whole quilt behave after being washed? I wash all my quilts as soon as I put binding on them. Some of you may wander why I only prewashed the non-batik fabric. Someone, somewhere once mentioned to me that batik behaves shrinkage wise like it is prewashed. I do not know if that is true, I guess we will see. Any and all advice is highly appreciated. Thank you!