View Single Post
Old 10-14-2009, 06:52 PM
butterflywing

Originally Posted by dunster
Originally Posted by rivka
I see them for sale sometimes on the homequiltingsystems on Yahoo Groups.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/homequiltingsystems/

Look in the database section. Most of the stuff is short and mid-arms, but occasionally someone will post a long-arm.
Thanks for the link. I just hate to join a yahoo group (bad experience in the past). I wish the postings were public.
get in direct touch with the manufacturer you like. they all take back models as trade-ins, and will tell you where and how to find/see reconditioned ones with their tech help and support. depending on who has them (what dealer) you can even get lessons if the owner wants to make the sale. if you buy on your own, you're on your own. a LQS may or may not give good backup on a used model, and it may not be reconditioned, just cleaned up.

check out everything in advance, so you know what your must-haves are. on a used one, you won't have as many choices as brand new customized. decide in advance what you can really live without. keep in mind that the trade-ins were traded in for something more than what these were, so these machines are likely to be kind of basic with maybe one or two optional goodies. people who have longarms that do a lot, tend not to trade them in unless they are professionals and need a more professional machine.