Old 10-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Paydapigg2

Smile Newbie- Have basic questions. Please help!

After buying a $750 quilt that I just fell in love with from an Amish woman in PA, I now want to start quilting and sewing myself. I bought a sewing machine and I've watched countless videos and read "how to's" but I still have questions. Some are very basic.

1. Where exactly do I start my needle when sewing? Do I start it before the fabric, at the edge of the fabric, or a little onto the fabric?

2. When I reach the end of the fabric and get ready to pull it out of the sewing machine how do I avoid it bunching up at the end with the thread pulling too tight. It either happened then or when I was backstitching.

3. If you are trying to keep your fabric aligned with the edge of the foot to sew a 1/4 stich or etc. and you notice the fabric is moving away to the left (getting closer to the middle), what do you do? I have tried pulling the foot up and repositioning it back on track, guiding the fabric back in line(harder to do with it moving and tugging in wrong direction), and I've tried just continuing on the same line. What is the best way?

4. How much thread is too much thread to put on your bobbin?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions that seem simple to everyone but me.