Old 10-23-2012, 03:47 PM
coffeebreak

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
The batting makes a huge difference in softness.
If you want to make the whales puff out a little, what you can do is trace the whale outline with a Sharpie permanent marker onto paper. Pin this to a spare piece of batting and cut out inside the traced lines. Use a little basting spray or Elmer's washable white school glue to secure the extra batting piece to the wrong side of the top. (If using the glue, you will want to iron to dry out the glue and keep everything stuck together.) When you quilt around the whale shapes, they will puff out a little more than the background. You might want to hand stitch some of the details of the whales, inside the trapunto (or machine outline if you are comfortable with doing that).y well.
Just a thought...if I do as you instruct with adding the batting for puffiness...I ave the basting spray, but it says it washes out...if so...and I don't actully catch that bit of batting in the outline stitching...how do I keep it from bunching up after use and washing? I am guessing do some outline of little areas...like the white on each whales side...is that enough? I have not heard about this...it is called trapunto?