Thread: What an honor!
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 04:18 PM
Teacup

Default What an honor!

My dear grandkids moved 800 miles away from us this summer, from Illinois to Pennsylvania. I dearly miss them. My granddaughter Lily is in kindergarten. This week she is "star of the week" in her class and every day she gets to bring in a special item, photo or favorite book. Today she took her baby quilt (my avatar) which I pieced. It was my first completed quilt. It was hand quilted by her other grandmother, grandfather and great-grandmother (now deceased). Asked why she picked it, she said it was special because "everyone made it for her."

This quilt was a very emotional project, made by all the grandparents. Eight weeks before Lily's due date her parents lost almost everything in a fire that burned through their apartment building in Colorado. The quilt had not yet been presented to them. My DH and I immediately drove 900 miles out to the kids and I took this quilt and wrapped it as a big hug around my very pregnant daughter, who sobbed held onto it, a very tangible expression of love. It was made in classic Winnie the Pooh fabric to match the theme of the nursery they had just lost. She took it to her childbirth class to lay on as it was all she had. Then Lily decided to arrive 6 weeks early, tiny but healthy. She came "home" to the camper they borrowed for shelter wrapped in that quilt. I'm so honored that Lily loves it so much and recognizes how special she is to her family.