View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 05:46 PM
kristakz

Default Need opinion on quilting design

I finally got up the nerve to load my big (king size) quilt onto my new long arm frame. I've had the long arm for about 3 months and have been practicing - done a bunch of baby quilts, a twin and a lap quilt plus a bunch of practice runs. I made this quilt, which essentially is composed of 255 5.5" squares. After considering my quilting options, I decided that I really wanted to quilt with dark thread on the dark sections, and light thread on the light sections - my quilting isn't that good, so I didn't want the strong contrast if I used a single colour and a pantograph. I decided to do interlocked circles (I know there's a name for this, but it escapes me).

Originally I had planned to do 4 of them in each block, but when I loaded the quilt, my brain got confused and the 4 seemed too small, so I started doing one large motif in each block. The stitching doesn't show up (at least that went as planned So I drew my pattern onto a piece of the quilt so you can see what I am doing. I'm a bit concerned now that the motif is too big and I should have stuck with the smaller ones. As I said, the blocks are 5.5", and there are 15 across and 15 down on the quilt. What do you think? Is this going to look OK in the end? I don't like really heavy quilting, so I hope it will be ok - but I'm having second thoughts every time I go down to work on it and I'm wondering if I should start over (I'm about 1/4 done now) or just keep plugging away.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]372030[/ATTACH]

This is the back of one block.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]372031[/ATTACH]

This was my original plan (but neater than this drawing).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]372036[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails pa230388.jpg   pa230390.jpg   pa230388_2.jpg