View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 01:08 AM
clsurz

Anyone that has done mixed media confetti projects can do this. Check out Noriko Endo from Japan who started this technique 19 years ago. Personally like her I prefer to just have a photograph of what I want to create and use it to eyeball my canvas piece which is a piece of batting. I seldom trace anything on the batting. My granddaughter and I a couple years ago spent the summer doing confetti art with cardboard and colorful papers, magazine papers and the like. What one can create with mixed materials can also be duplicated using cloth fabric, threads, yarns, etc.

It is alot of fun dyeing your own fabric to use in such projects. I've been known to take UGLY fabric and dye it to use in confetti projects. Also using old clothes, towels, and more along with other fabric, threads, yarns and such certainly adds to a project.

As far as a lightbox is concerned one does not need to go out an pay such a high price for one. Although I do have a professional one sized 12 X 17 I think it is and purchased it on eBay a few years ago I recently made myself a larger one. All I did was go to Walmart and bought a clear larger bin with lid and bought two LED florascent lights. I taped the lights on the inside of the lid and my lid is my bottom. I than put the container on and snapped it shut. I than use whatever paper I want to use to trace my project on. Right now I have several different items printed to trace on Steam A Seam II Lite or on Heat N Bond Lite. I buy these in large boxes from 25 yards to 75 yards and various width in inches.

I have for almost 1 1/2 years been saving all my end threads when I sew, yarns, fabric scraps given to me by a couple quilt guilds around here, and other threads and fibers to use in projects. I have the following machines at my disposal to use in projects if I so desire to......... embellishing machine,ie, needle felting machine; sewing machine; serger; embroidery machine; and I use my Studio, GO cutters as well as scissors, and rotary cutters to make the confetti with. I keep bags full of tulle of various colors which I usually purchase by the bolt as well. I also purchase cheese cloth by the bolt to use in various projects. Fabric markers, paints, brushes, etc are also sometimes used to give a project dimension and depth.

It really is alot of fun and really all these projects are really experiments. Just start gathering some of the things I mentioned here and have a go at it. If tracing something to give you an outline consider using stencils on the batting, felt or whatever you are going to use as your background canvas. Once you have your outline done have a go at it and start filling in the spaces with the colors you choose to use. You will amaze yourself at what you can create.