View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 03:29 AM
katkat1946

Default Update on Moda Layer Cake - NOT square & NOT 10"

I took pictures of several of the squares and included them in an email to Moda. As many of you have said, I too have always loved Moda lines and even buy Moda on-ine with great confidence without getting to see and touch the fabric. In my letter I took pains to tell them all of that but also explained the huge variation in size and lack of squareness of any of them. After posting my gripe here and before writing to Moda I rechecked the few squares I hadn't cut (preparing for a retreat) and began to wonder if I'd prewashed them. So I also told Moda this was a possibility but if so that I could be sure they were washed on delicate and placed in a mesh bag. Maybe 10" could shrink to 9 7/8 but they were mostly 9 1/2" wide and very skewed when lined up with the grids on my cutting mat. I said that I didn't want anything more than a personal response to the issue as I didn't feel it was likely that I would purchase any more pre-cuts. I'll try to insert a photo below.
Moda responded right away and I'd like to share the gracious response I received:
Thank you for taking the time to write with your concerns about your recent Moda purchase. It is very, very unusual for our precut items to be incorrectly cut. I will definitely forward your information to the Fabric Development Department for their review. It is very helpful to know this happened so that we can inform our mills to be careful with the precuts.
Pre-washing the pieces does shrink them a tiny bit. We suggest that you not wash the precut items before sewing. Since Moda fabrics have such a small shrinkage, it will not make a difference in your quilt. I feel you would be fine to still purchase the precut items but not wash them before using them.
We would like to send you a layer cake as a thank you for writing with your concerns. However, we ship UPS and cannot ship to a PO Box. If you can send me your information, I will get the gift shipped to you. As I will be leaving on October 25 and not returning until November 6, it will be a few weeks before I can ship it.

Thank you again!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]372084[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc00775.jpg