View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 03:54 AM
Lara122

Question backwards batting?

Hello!

on fons and porter the other day, a guest long armer was talking about the different 'sides' of batting. She said as it was made, it had two different surfaces. one side is sort of 'pre punched' and the other isn't. Turns out, you need the prepunched side UP to your top, to keep tufts of batting pushing thru to the back.

I have the kaleidoscope quilt pin basted and ready to quilt. You wonderful ladies helped me with the pattern, and I started before I hurt my hand. I did have trouble with seeing the batting on the back, but I also had trouble getting my tension smooth. I worked on a sample, and didn't really get it resolved.

My hand has improved, and I am anxious to try again. But you guessed it, when I checked how I have my sandwich layered, I do have the batting 'upside down'. Sigh.

How important is this for my finished product? Could the batting issue be confusing me with the tension? I have never had such a hard time with quilting layers, and tension. Have I just used the batting (warm and natural) the right way and been lucky?

Suggestions are SO welcome.
Thanks
Lara