Old 10-24-2012, 05:24 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by IamaHam View Post
Hello my name is Steve.
When searching the internet for information the Quilting Board keeps coming up so I decided to just join.

I recently got my Wife's Great Grandmother's model 66 treadle up and sewing again and have started working on another 66 that arrived from eBay yesterday. Both machines were completely frozen and I have been amazed at how well and quickly these old singers respond to a little WD 40 and kind persuasion. The first machine makes really nice stiches and being a treadle is nearly silent. I hope to use the one I am working on now on a machine quilting frame for my wife (it is an electrified model). As best as I have been able to tell you have to spend close to $1000 dollars to get a new machine with a harp as big as the old singer 66. Any thoughts on using a 66 on a machine quilting frame would be welcome. Ok, that is who I am and what I am up to, just having fun working on a couple of old sewing machines.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Steve
Steve,

Welcome to Quilting Board forum.

I love the Singer 66s, I have 8 of them. Three are treadle heads, a 66-1 and 2 66-4s. Two are actually up and running. The third is waiting for a cabinet. The other five are in cabinets or portables from the -4 model to the -18s.
I use each and every one of them off and on. As I get them refurbed I make what I've named a whacky bag. Here's a pic of it along with my ALDENS Magic ZZ machine:

The Whacky Bag consists of a minimum of 83 parts. Buy making one of these with each machine I can get the tensions adjusted and make sure it sewing properly. Not to mention we have them up for sale at the craft shows.

A couple suggestions: Don't use the WD-40. It's not a good lubricant and can and will gum up. Use either a quality sewing machine oil, or many of here are fond of Tri-Flow oil and grease.
In the electric machine do not oil the motor, or use Tri-Flow grease, use only Singer lube in that. You can get all three at Sew-Classic { http://www.shop.sew-classic.com/ }.

As for not telling your wife .... get her involved, it will be more fun. My wife has been sewing since she was 7. That's a lot of summers ago. I just started last year. I like tinkering with the machines, but to know if I've gotten them right I need to use them.
So I've been making my bags and some quilts while my wife makes other things.

Joe