Old 10-24-2012, 05:28 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by IamaHam View Post
Hello my name is Steve.
When searching the internet for information the Quilting Board keeps coming up so I decided to just join.

I recently got my Wife's Great Grandmother's model 66 treadle up and sewing again and have started working on another 66 that arrived from eBay yesterday. Both machines were completely frozen and I have been amazed at how well and quickly these old singers respond to a little WD 40 and kind persuasion. The first machine makes really nice stiches and being a treadle is nearly silent. I hope to use the one I am working on now on a machine quilting frame for my wife (it is an electrified model). As best as I have been able to tell you have to spend close to $1000 dollars to get a new machine with a harp as big as the old singer 66. Any thoughts on using a 66 on a machine quilting frame would be welcome. Ok, that is who I am and what I am up to, just having fun working on a couple of old sewing machines.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

Steve
Steve that is so cool! There are lots of us here that use the vintage machines to free motion quilt, but I don't think anyone has a 66 or 15 or any of the really old machines on a quilting frame! If you are going to put the 66 on a quilting frame, how are you going to FM quilt? The 66 does not drop its feed dogs? I guess, you could cover up the feed dogs, but what about getting a Model 15? Those machine drop their feed dogs with a thumb screw under the needle plate. I FM with my 15 all the time! Please post photos of the 66 in the quilting frame - I just think that is such a cool idea! Yes, the old machines do have a really nice stitch!

Nancy