View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 06:38 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
This is called bearding and used to be prevalent with polyester battings "in the old days" (may still be, I don't use poly any more).

I read the same 'right side/wrong side' thing here, but I feel that if it were truly a "worry about this" problem it would be noted on the batting packaging, like quilting distance apart information is, and it would be appearing in articles in all sorts of quilting magazines. Anyone seen articles on this in multiple publications? Me either.

Jan in VA (who really doesn't want or need another "got to" to worry about)
Jan, I have been quilting a long time and can remember the polyester batting that bearded and even had this happen to one of my earlier quilts. What I had happen didn't lookor act anything like bearding that us "old timers" know of and think of when that term is used. It was actually tiny little bumps of batting. It looked different than bearding and only happened at the needle holes so I would say this is a slightly different problem. As to why the batting companies don't put a disclaimer on the packaging I couldn't say. It is a known issue amongst LAQ but not all LAQ have had it happen to them. I can tell you one thing, you would most definitely worry about it the first time it happens to you. Kind of like, "I wouldn't worry about prewashing or pretesting fabric because I have never had a fabric bleed on me". You would change your tune the first time a bleeder ruined a quilt on you. Once bitten twice shy. I will always makes sure I load W&N bumpy side up from now on.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 10-24-2012 at 06:41 AM.