Old 10-24-2012, 08:48 AM
gardnergal970

QNSue...I agree with Oksewglad. National merit scholars...quite an accomplishment.
QuiltE...I'm glad you discovered reading even if it was later than some. It's never too late to open the world of words. I also read Anne of Green Gables as an adult. Don't know why I never heard of it as a kid because I read every book I could get my hands on. We lived up in the hills without a public library but during the summer when we couldn't use the school resources, we had a bookmobile come every two weeks. There was a limit on how many books we could take at a time..there were others on the route...but Mom and I always filled the limit. After a hard mornings work, she would sit with her very large mug of tea and a book for about an hour as well as later in the evening. She introduced me to Perry Mason and historical novels. Lots of English history learned in novels. Only a couple of my kids are avid readers although I read to all of them when they were young. My 3 sons all have degrees beyond their BA, one daughter a BA and one daughter still working on her Associate. Can you tell it was the girls that didn't do much reading? They both read more now that they don't have to. I don't read as much as I once did but once I start a book nothing else gets done. I get completely lost in it. Most of the time I would rather be quilting. BTW...how many of you use an electronic reader? I started doing that when I traveled this past spring and I like it. No weighty books in my luggage but enough on my reader to fill all the waiting times that happen when traveling.
JanR...I also commend you for directing memorials to the library. That will live on for years!