Old 10-24-2012, 11:15 AM
miriam
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BoJangles View Post
Well Dee, I do live in the perfect town for me - from rescuing sewing machines, to rescuing dogs and horses - it is a very appropriate town for me to live in!

It is always a problem to change anything on any machine, except the Singers, unless you have a donor machine. I don't have a National, so I am not familiar with that machine. I have a beautiful little New Home that I wanted to turn into a HC. It has a friction pulley motor. I wanted to get rid of that motor 2 years ago, but I have not found a New Home in bad shape with a HC I could steal. The HC's you can buy today work great on Singers, but they don't work on most of the other machine makes. If anyone can help you with the HC issue, it would be Mizkaki, Cathy!

Cathy, what can Dee do to turn her National into a HC?

Nancy
Is that that 3/4 size machine you posted? I think the place where the motor went might be sloped too much - Does it have two boss holes? I bet those holes are not original - someone might have converted it to electric. You might be able to HC with a knife sharpening crank or something. You might have to get creative on that one - put the machine in a box made of 2x4s or something then put a crank of some kind on the end of that. Nancy is right those HCs you buy won't assemble. They might go on a clone though - I've had one on a Japanese deluxe zzer so you never know - the place it goes on has to be flat enough for the HC to go flush and at the right angle.

Last edited by miriam; 10-24-2012 at 11:22 AM.