View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 01:47 PM
azwendyg

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I have had this issue rear its ugly head with Warm and Natural batting while Longarm quilting. It did not affect my tension but what happened is little tiny tufts of batting were being forced through with the needle (and yes this was a brand new needle) through the backing. I later learned these were often referred to as "Pokies". I searched the internet and found a great posting on the APQS forum about it with pictures showing right side and wrong side:

http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/top...arm+%2Bnatural

I ended up cutting the batting and flipping it over and the pokie problem went away. I do not know if this is an issue with quilting on domestic sewing machines. The needles are much smaller on domestic machines so this would be why the previous posters may say they never checked and never had a problem.

Well, who knew? Thanks for the link!!! It turns out I've been purposefully using Warm and Natural UPSIDE DOWN. I did notice the difference in the two sides, and put the nice smooth side up under my pieced tops. No wonder I haven't been too fond of it (because of its tendency to leave little "pokies")! I use a domestic machine for quilting and vary the needle size to suit the thread I'm using. I guess I'll give Warm and Natural another chance...