View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 04:50 AM
Lacelady
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
I was thinking of useing a doudle needle on my next machine quilting. I only have my small viking. If I use my walking foot or my freemotion foot will the needle get in the way? Has anyone ever used the twin needle to quilt with? How did you like it?
Yes, I have used a twin needle for quilting, but only in straight lines - I did it on my Sept doll quilt, and I cross hatched small blocks. Actually, what I did was cross hatch a larger piece, then cut out what I wanted using a 4.5in square ruler. The needle worked well on warm & natural batting, then I backed the quilt afterwards, so the back of the twin needle stitching, which isn't all that pretty, didn't show. The needle should be fine on a walking foot, but don't try using it on a quarter inch foot! (not a wide enough space for the needle, so it would break with the first stitch). In fact, I always hand wind the wheel for the first stitch when I have a twin needle in, as I have broken a few, and they are too expensive to do that very often.