Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by annao View Post
Hi,
I'm a beginning quilter, and bought low-loft cotton batting as per recommendations from online quilting classes. I bought a few different ones to see what I liked best including Hobbs, Quilter's Dream, and Warm and Natural.

I was very surprised at how thin the low loft cotton batting is. And when I tried to spray baste the quilt top and back to it, it was hard to get the batting to stay smoothed out and it would wrinkle or bunch and I'd have to reposition the quilt top again and again to get things smooth. I think it was Hobbs natural cotton on that.

I would like to use my home machine to quilt. But I want a bit of a thicker quilt feel than it seems that the low loft provides. Unless it fluffs up a lot in the wash after I quilt?

Any recommendations for mid-loft or other batting that is easy to sandwich (using spray adhesive or that is itself fusible), that is reasonably easy to machine quilt, and that provides a bit of that traditional fluffy quilt feeling?

Thanks!
Anna
I find it interesting that you think the traditional quilt is fluffy. Low loft cotton batting is very traditional. In some old quilts the batting is so thin you can barely tell it has any batting at all.