View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Pollytink

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
It's true that quilts soften with washings. Cotton batting, especially, gets softer with every washing. I just know that when I used a close stipple and regular thread on a doll quilt, the poor quilt came out stiff as a board and never softened up! This may not be as much of a problem with larger quilts, but ever since I put all that work into the doll quilt I have taken care to use fine thread for quilting and not quilt lines super close together!
Thread! Have a question about this. I love Wendy Sheppard's work and her blog, http://ivoryspring.wordpress.com/author/ivoryspring/

I doubt I'll ever get that good but I love looking at it and saving her info for inspiration. She talks a lot about using Aurifil Mako 50wt. cotton and on another thread, a lot of members here use it too. I want to get some to try but haven't yet. Her quilts are pretty densely quilted, like Leah Day's and I wonder if using finer thread like that makes a difference. I'm working on a baby quilt, haven't sewn in quite awhile and was thinking about trying some quilting on borders and on blocks in addition to some designs in the blocks. Now I'm thinking I'll not use as much as I thought. What do you think about Aurifil?