Thread: Why Tri-flow?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 06:56 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by pinkCastleDH View Post
I was going through the other bicycle chain lubes I'm aware of and realized that Tri-Flow was the only non-waxy one. Wow! I use ProLink myself but not for sewing machines.
I guess that makes sense. A lot of the chain "lubes" we use on the motorcycles are waxy as well. Not the nicest to clean off when doing chain maintenance.

I don't know if MEC is all that well known down here but if you spend time in the bicycle business in the nothern states you'll hear about it. I'm pretty sure REI keeps Tri-Flow in stock so you might check to see if they can ship to our northern neighbors. If Sew-Classic can't I wouldn't be surprised if REI can't either, though.
I will try to drop them an email this evening! Thanks! MEC does have the 2oz bottles of the oil in stock here. I picked up a couple tonight to tide me over until I can find a good source. They -thought- there was supposed to be 12 bottles of the 6oz in stock, but there was no sign of it when we got there.

I did notice that MEC ships to the US, and I wondered about that, because it's not often we have better prices here than the US. It doesn't seem like it would make sense for most people to ship from Canada.

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Viscosity? To me they are so close I can't tell the difference.

Here is an idea. I have a shooting forum friend that lives in Canada. His sister lives in NY state. If I want to mail him something I send it to his sister's NY address and the next time he visits her he pics it up.
Do you have any friends or relatives in the US? If so perhaps they could get you the Tri-Flow and get it to you. Like I said, just an idea.
Good idea. We have friends who would do that for us in the states, but they're Texas and Oregon. We don't often get that far when we vacation. I get a little caught up riding on the good roads,... over and over again, so we don't get a lot of linear distance. It would be just as easy probably for us to pick up as much as I could carry in a top case comfortably when we got there.

My Tri-Flow oil bottles don't leak. I keep them capped tightly and they are fine.
I sort of thought that should be the case. I wonder if one fell over and the product got painted with a bad brush as a result.

Singer grease or lube is the old standard. There is nothing wrong with it other than it tends to fling off of gears. It's what you need for Singer motors though.

Have you contacted Singer for a source of their products in Canada?
Yeah, I know I won't be able to completely replace the Singer Lube, but most of the machines I've been servicing lately have been post 60s... no motors to lube, just gears. DH keeps saying gears will be fine with the Super Lube. Eh.. I'll try the 411 and see what happens. It will probably be the one I use the most for the next little while. It's supposed to be non-drying, synthetic, non-flinging, teflon infused grease. It can't be worse than SuperTech wheel bearing grease or Vaseline, can it?

Singer Canada will tell me to use SMS Canada. They're my current supplier. I think I might just have to make sure I don't ever forget to order before I run out. My current order is 1 -2 weeks away, and I'm lower than I'd planned on the lube, which is what brought this tread up to begin with.

Originally Posted by Skyangel View Post
I found a supplier of Tri-Flow in Canada - they even have free shipping:

http://www.triboutique.ca/SearchResu...20&Search.y=14

Other than motor grease tubes, I don't use anything else.
Thanks SkyAngel! I just checked them out. Minimum $100 order for free shipping. That will take some fore-planning. I can probably do it though if I can't come up with anywhere in Edmonton to get it. (It's not worth paying shipping on a smaller order anyway, so I'd find some stuff to get.)

DH and I were talking today. If one Industrial shop carries one product line, there's a chance one of the others will carry the Tri-flow to be different. I will be making some more calls in the morning to see what I can find.