View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Gerbie

Originally Posted by Teacup View Post
One of my favorites is a make-your-own taco salad bar. Big bowl of various lettuce/greens. Seasoned taco meat and, if you can, seasoned shredded chicken -- put it in crock pots. Shredded cheese. Fritos and/or tortilla chips. Diced tomatoes, onions and black olives. Black beans. Salsa. Low-fat sour cream. Several salad dressings...ranch, Western, Green Goddess, taco ranch...whatever strikes your fancy, be sure to include a low-fat choice. With that many options, almost everyone can create a salad they will like. This is a hit with men too. I'm planning to make this near Thanksgiving for a family get together, a nice change from the turkey leftovers.
I was also thinking of a chili or taco meal. Both are quick and easy, as well as filling, and not a great deal of clean up. I have a great quick, but extremely rich - lemon cake that I make, serves a large group, but needs to be kept in refg. until serving time. 1 deluxe Duncan Heinz lemon cake mix, 1 box of instant lemon pudding mix, 1 can Eagle Brand milk, 1 med to lg. carton Cool Whip. - Bake cake according to box directions, allow to cool for 5 min. then take a very small wooden spoon handle or something small like that, and poke holes all over the top of the cake., then pour the entire can of Eagle Brand milk all over the top of the cake, and make sure that it gets in the holes, I usually pour it slowly so it can soak in,. Next allow cake to cool completely until pan is cold to the touch. including bottom of the pan. Then mix lemon pudding according to pkg directions, and spread pudding over the top of the cake, then spread the Cool Whip (that has been thawed) all over the top of the pudding. Serve. NOTE I normally bake this cake in a glass pan or in a throwaway tin foil pan. You need at least a 9x13-15 pan for this cake. Everyone loves this cake and it is moist, but is rich, most only eat one piece.