View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 06:34 AM
quiltgal

Originally Posted by lnolan6177 View Post
I am making a t-shirt quilt for a friend to give as a Christmas present to her daughter. I have it put together and have started SITD today....the thing is SO heavy and bulky (16 shirts). It measures about 76" x 76". Because there is so much surface on the t-shirts themselves I feel like I need to do some kind of stitching on them to help stablize the fabric. I have never done any FMQ before. And I'm not sure I want to "practice" on this project. I keep watching the videos and they make it look so easy. Does anyone have any other suggestions. I keep having this vision/nightmare that I am going to wash this thing and the t-shirts are coming apart. (they do have interfacing on the backs) I'm so ready to get this done...it hasn't been one that I am enjoying working on....nothing but blue/white/gray. Thanks so much for any suggestions.
Lisa
This sounds exactly like the t-shirt quilt that I am working on. It has a bunch of t-shirts and embroidered logos and is huge and heavy and a little bigger than the one you described! I have stabilized by stitching in the ditch, but still need to quilt in the blocks (all have fused interfacing) and quilt in the outer border. Too big and heavy for FMQ so was thinking cross hatching. Have to have it done by 1 Dec. I work a full time job as well as my commission quilting so for most of October come home too tired to mess with it!