View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 08:39 AM
catmcclure

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
My grandson chose the Jinny Beyer kit DaVinci for his graduation quilt. I ordered a king size. The directions were written for the wall hanging. You have to do math calculations to figure out how many strips to cut and fit together. I am so scared to cut into this fabric and make a mistake that I have put off starting the quilt. I need to get it started!!!

Any encouragement, motivation to jump in etc, would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone made this kit?
The borders for this small quilt are 10-1/2". Subtract 20 from whatever measurement you want to make - I make kingsize quilts 108" square - so, in my case, that would be 88" square for the center. Divide that by 16-3/4 (finished block size) and you get 5-1/4. Five blocks square (25 total) would give you a center 83-3/4". With the borders as is, that would give you approximately 104" square. You can add half an inch to each of the three borders and end up with a 107" square quilt. So, by my calculations you need 25 blocks and the pattern calls for 4 blocks. You would need to cut the strips for the blocks as listed in the small size six times for 24 blocks, that leaves one block extra to make strips for.

If I were you, I'd cut the strips for four blocks at a time. Make those four blocks and then back to the cutting table.