View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 05:22 AM
Edie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bettyboop32953 View Post
I purchased a Rowenta Focus DZ5080 several years ago. I absolutely loved my iron. It started leaking, but was way past warranty, so I just lived with it. I spent a lot of money for this iron and couldn't just throw it away. Yesterday, the iron started smelling funny and I got up to check the garage, thinking my husband was doing something. Then I decided that I had scorched some synthetic ribbon when ironing some quilt blocks. The smell was strong, so I unplugged it to cool and clean the face plate. While sitting on my kitchen counter, I plugged it in and it caught on fire at the base, inside the iron! Wow, I hate to think of what could have happened if I had stepped away waiting for the iron to heat up.

I did some research and found that many (115 so far) of the Rowenta irons have been reported catching fire. I could not find a recall notice on the Consumer Safety website. I have emailed the Rowenta corporation about this. I don't expect any financial compensation, but I am very concerned that someone could get hurt or worse. Has this happened to any of you?
Even if it is past warranty, your research showed 115 fires of the Rowenta. I am sure that those people got new Rowenta Irons. And, if'n it were me, I'd make sure I did, considering what COULD have happened. I do not spend money, especially money like (I was just checking prices the other day on a Rowenta iron - $174.00) that for the fun of it and a good iron is important to us quilters. I would either get, no, demand a new iron, or get your money back, at today's prices. I am looking for a new iron myself and checked Oliso and Rowenta and did not hear any good reviews on them and check Consumers Research and found the Black and Decker D2030 to be the best iron!!!!! I wrote on my list for Santa Claus that I put on my kitchen cupboard door. Santa sees the kitchen cupboard door quite often. Google the Rowenta company and click til you see "Contact" and there it will give you everything you need including room to write a handy dandy little message (in spades, I hope).

I do wish you luck. I don't let things like this go by. I am my own advocate and I generally win. Good adrenalin pumper, too. I feel like I took care of myself, my husband (because he would have to pay for a new whatever) and others like us who just are just plain tired of being screwed! Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Edie

Last edited by Edie; 10-27-2012 at 05:25 AM.