View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 08:56 AM
oleganny

Originally Posted by joysewer View Post
Does anyone do altering of curtains? Someone wants me to fix curtains for her and I don't have any idea what to charge. There are 6 panels of sheers that need the top cut off because she doesn't want to use the eyelets. They will be sewn together at the sides...3 and 3 and then I'll have to make a rod pocket at the top. I think there are 6 curtain panels which also need sewn together...3 and 3 and hemmed. So I will probably be ripping all the side seams out or cutting them off. Thanks for your help!
You might try spray starch to "tame" the slipperiness (is that a word?) of the sheers - you will need to know how wide a rod & how big a header she wants to make sure you have enough fabric to cut off the eyelets & rework. Sometimes the previous needlemarks show in sheers, so you would need to rip out a small section to see if they are showing - sometimes you can "erase" the needlemarks by spraying with water & pressing - cool iron. All that being said, I wouldn't tackle that job for all the tea in china - if you decide to do it - do charge by the hour. It will take a lot of time & precision to do it well - ask me how I know - lol - & I was doing it for myself. I've been sewing since I had to have a box strapped to the treadle so my feet would reach & when my kids were small I "took in" sewing to earn extra cash, so there is very little I haven't made/altered over the years. I would much rather make from scratch than alter anything.

hugs & good luck
Shirley in Indiana