View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Indigo Paris

Two suggestions: You might want to look at a video, such as: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDcLMiR2SAo. Also, your batting will have a big effect on ease of stitching. Wool batting (Dream or Hobb's are both well regarded it seems) is easy to needle. Cotton--it depends; if it has a scrim, it most decidedly is not easy. The easiest ones I've found are Dream Request and one by Bosal--a line called Katahdin. Lovely stuff. Need to go to the Bosal website to find distributors, or contact them to see if they can help you find it in your area. Or order it on-line. Cream Rose also good. I second the motion about The Perfect Stitch, originally by Roxanne McElroy and now in a new second edition by her daughter, Dierdra McElroy. Terrific book, easily findable on-line. Finally, I think you may have to try different methods before you find one that works for you. Nosing around the web, I see that some people prefer hand qulting with hoops, some without. My "quilting heroine" is a Japanese quilter called Shizuko Kuroha, who does not use a hoop or frame, but does baste extensively before quilting. Good luck! I, too, am a novice, but have made good progress thanks to Dierdra's material. I also remember how it was when I first started knitting lo these many years ago. Felt terribly awkward at first, but just kept at it and now can knit quickly, with my eyes closed. (As long as it's simple!).