Thread: Which Singer?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 10:41 PM
ArchaicArcane

I also had a 290C that wound in the bobbin area.
There are a few models out there that did it. Joe's right, most of them were 600 series.
It might be worth showing her pics.... just for curiousity sake if you're trying to keep it a surprise.

The "Self Winding bobbin" mechanism is a little harder to service, and a little more prone to "issues" though, so keep that in mind when checking out used ones. Make sure you test the winding. The lever could have trouble moving (lubrication issues), like Kittywolf was experiencing, or the bobbin may wind incorrectly (sometimes the wind will miss the bobbin and wind beneath it). That one I can't currently help with, because I haven't had one in front of me that did it, though there are 2 here I haven't had a chance to test yet, so I may have input on that one sooner than later.

I had tons of trouble with my 290, I used to break needles all the time when winding. Part of it was user error I'm sure, but I don't think it all was. The process is quite particular, make sure you follow the manual to the "T"

BTW, my 290 was mint, and I sat on it for a month before I sold it for $75 with all the attachments, serviced, manual, bobbins, tools, etc. So don't pay a lot of any of the self winders.