View Single Post
Old 10-15-2009, 12:58 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grannysherry
For all you experienced ladies that quilt on a machine. Do you quilt the entire quilt at one time or do you divide it into sections and then put it together. If you sew it all at one time, how do you fold, roll or whatever to get it under your machine? Also I am thinking about ordering Penny's book, "Quilting for Beginners". Does anyone know about this book and is it worth the $60.00 to order it? Grannysherry
I couldn't find that book on Amazon. Do you have a link? It's just that $60 is a *lot* of money for a beginning quilter's book. There are many good ones on the market, most of them priced under $20 or $30.

Aside from the one block at a time method of dividing up a quilt, there is another method that makes quilting a large quilt easier. Basically you keep the top and backing intact, but cut the batting into 3 lengths (using a large curvy line). You sandwich and quilt the middle first with just the middle piece of batting inside, leaving a few inches on each side of the batting unquilted. You hand sew one of the remaining pieces of batting to the middle piece of batting, layer that side and quilt it, then do the same with the other side. This way there is much less batting under the arm of the machine at any one time, plus the finished quilt appears to have been quilted as a whole piece.

Cutting curves in the batting means the pieces will go together exactly when you re-connect them, plus there will be no obvious straight line in the quilt where the batting was pieced.

I have a book on that method, but can't remember the author at the moment. Will post if it comes to mind later.