Thread: Machine use
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 08:11 AM
thepolyparrot

I started off a few years ago with a little Brother cs6000i, but on some heavy seams, I started wishing I could have my grandmother's sewing machine - the one I learned to sew on.

I couldn't remember it exactly, but I finally learned it was a 401. So I started buying 401's. The first one was from a thoroughly disreputable eBay dealer who saw me coming. Beautiful pictures that hid all the damage to the paint (and I was too new to vintage collecting to realize what she'd done in the pictures) Here I'm thinking I'm getting a machine that looked like my grandmother's, and what I got looked like it had come through a war. There was hardened white lithium grease everywhere and the machine was FILTHY inside and out. The motor strained. Got that cleaned and the machine running nicely and darned if another 401 didn't walk into my path. In great shape, all the accessories, just needed cleaning and a light bulb. After that a THIRD 401 became available to me at a price I couldn't turn down. Perfect paint, a little dirty, all the toys. Shortly after that, a copy of my grandmother's cabinet popped up on craigslist. Needs some work, but so far, Dr Woodwell's has masked most of the trouble.

After I started sewing with the 401, I started reading that what I needed for free-motion quilting was a vertical needle and bobbin - a model 15. I started watching craigslist and here comes a model 15 in a waterfall #42 cabinet complete with period literature, every attachment under the sun including a hemstitcher and a fringe-maker - and the inkwell is still in the drawer! That is still my favorite machine - I use it in conjuction with a little Brother serger for virtually everything.

When I need a blind hem stitch, I press a bunch of hems all at once and pull out the 1970's Kenmore - unbelieveable power for sewing hems - even in jeans and canvas twill.

I have a modern Singer Futura embroidery/sewing machine that's spent more time in the shop than it has actually sewing designs. I would never rely on it - like to make a special monogram or gift item. I would not trust fine fabrics or expensive materials to it. I might pull it out and do some cutwork or something, but only small things that don't require re-hooping. The bobbin case has been replaced twice already - and I think I've sewn a MAXIMUM of two or three dozen designs with that machine. I always follow the directions exactly, new needles frequently, etc. The machine alerts for bad threading even though I have followed the chart perfectly. I've learned to leave the threading alone and instead, reboot the computer by unplugging it for 30 seconds. When it re-boots, it sews just fine without an alert about the "mis-threading."

I know that there are some really nice modern machines out there, but with all these vintage gals around, I never miss anything from the newer ones. I'd like to have one of those whiz-bang sergers that thread themselves because I hear they're very quiet compared to my "Harvey Wallbanger." Someday. But, not a new sewing machine, I don't think. I love the ones I have.