View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Bibliogirl

Default Old ElnaSuper to the rescue!

My daughter's MIL was killed in an auto accident recently. Her MIL was a hoarder. My DD is helping empty the house so it can be sold. She found 3 Necchi sewing machines in cabinets, a Bernina serger, 2 ElnaSupers, 18 pair of scissors, hundreds of spools of thread for both the sewing machines and the serger, plus a lot of other sewing items. I agreed to take one ElnaSuper and the serger, plus some of the other sewing supplies for our hospital sewing group. Everything in the house that is not going to people who have agreed to take things off their hands is going to Goodwill, including 17 George Foreman grills.

Yesterday my 4 year old Singer machine was giving me lots of trouble. I went to the old ElnaSuper, cleaned it up a bit, threaded it (after watching a Youtub video on how to thread the Elna) and finished the project I was working on. That machine, I think made in 1952, sewed beautifully!! Ran so smooth. I love it! It is all metal so it is very heavy. I couldn't figure out what the 12 funny looking large round black disks were so again I went to the Internet and found out they are cams for fancy stitches like the ones built-in on today's machines.

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has this Elna machine and any information about it. So far, they have not found a manual for it. I don't know if the Elna will stitch backwards. I had to tie threads at the end of stitching yesterday. I will be happy to learn more about this machine. I'll be getting the serger even though it appears to be broken. We have a really good Bernina repair shop in out area.