Thread: Machine use
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Vanuatu Jill

Originally Posted by acranford View Post
Hello Ladies!,
Sorry I'm new to this site, I don't know how to make a thread. But maybe you can help with my question? I'm new to quilting and would like to try free motion quilting on my machine. I've done free motion quilting on a family members machine and surprisngly i'm pretty good at it. The only problem I am having is my machine doesn't lower the feed dogs. I have a darning plate but when I lower my presser foot the tension between the foot and plate is too tight and it doesn't allow me to move the fabric freely. Is there any tip or trick to fixing this? Can I raise the presser foot a little? I'm not sure. I have the Singer Sew Mate. 60 stitch.
Welcome to the board from Southern California! My machine, that I have had two years now, has a dial in the back that adjusts the pressed foot tension. Just discovered it last night when DH oiled my machine and told me to check the dial as he moved it. Had to look in the manual to see what it was for!! Some people have simply taped over the feed dogs, or there should be a device available specifically for this problem, as many people don't have retractable feed dogs either. BTW, if you go to the Home page at the top, click on Main threads, and click on post new thread( or words to that effect). Be sure to put a clear title in it so people will know what it is about.